V-Day
I'm pretty sure Valentines and my girls were made for each other. Pink, decorating cards, making/decorating/delivering sugar cookies, pink, flowers, chocolate, tokens of affection from your darling daddy, fancy dinners...oh and pink. They were in heaven. It makes me think of my Grandma LaVer. She was a protector of all things feminine. I don't know how else to put it, but in her own little way, she always let us girls know that being "girly" was our entitlement. She took pink personally. She loved it! She loved baby dolls and flowers and little dishes and doing our hair. (I'm actually not sure she loved that last one...but she did it anyway. We loved it). Not that she was a "flowery" person- she wasn't- she was just Grandma. I miss her. How fitting that she raised a family of four confident, feminine daughters. They loved their girls.
This is her and Grandpa with newborn Scottie. (Before I was married I heard Grandma say once that if they'd had a boy, she would have named him Scott:). I didn't plan on this "Grandma LaVer" detour, but I'm gunna go with it. We can catch up on V-day in a minute...
Grandma taking care of newborn Mylee. |
![]() |
| Jena having a bath in St. George. |
Oh she loved babies. Her and Grandpa both LOVED babies. I thought that maybe all old people loved babies, but when I started having my own I realized they were just extra special that way.
Jena in Grandma's porcelain doll basket.
When I was pregnant with Jena before I found out what gender she was, Grandpa had a dream that I was going to have "a little girl with blue eyes and blond curly hair" - "and if it's not curly, you curl it!" Grandma added shaking a finger at me. I remember calling them from the elevator in the doctor's office to tell them Grandpa was right, and he said "I knew I was!"
Grandma tell Mom that she "didn't especially care for the name Mylee". I had a good chuckle.
Okay, I think I've had my moment of missing Grandma LaVer. There is so much more to say in a more personal setting. We can continue with Valentine's day now. Thank you Grandma for teaching me to cherish the joys of being a girl.
| Happy belated love day! |




2 Comments:
I'm alone in a dark room crying at my computer while Mike is putting Ivan to bed. It's so fun to hear others memories of gma and gpa. the best was when you heard gma say she didn't care for the name mylee. sounds like something she would say. And it's true, she loved things girlie and I don't doubt she told you to make sure you curled Jena's hair. Great post Holly, thanks for the trip down memory lane. Your mom was making some dresses as a service project and said that the older lady in charge said she wanted to make the dresses with a skirt thingy so that the little girls could twirl. It reminded me of Gma and sounded like something she would say or something she would feel important... that a little girl could twirl. Share more anytime! love ya
oh and that picture of her holding Mylee on her cheek is priceless!
Post a Comment
<< Home