Friday, August 30, 2013

Rosie's Big Day

We waited and waited and finally Rosie had 13 little piggies.  Two didn't make it right off the bat, and one little guy wasn't looking very well...he was about half the size of the others and could never get any mama's milk.  We bought some sow milk replacement and brought Wilbur in the house.  We gave him a little box with blankees and a hot pad.  He seemed to be doing pretty good, but we came home from church a couple days later and he was gone.  It was so fun for the kids to get to bottle feed a little piglet.









Hmmm.  Then, the cute little pigs somehow started a fire with the warming light bulb in their pig pen.  The tempratures were record low last January and one little piglet died from the cold, so in trying to keep them warm we succeeded in starting a huge fire!  I still cannot believe it.  We were sleeping away when our doorbell started ringing at 4 AM.  Mike pulled on some clothes and answered it, and there was a guy that didn't even speak English pointing to the outbuilding saying, "Meester Sir!  Meester Sir!"  (I asked Mike if he looked like one of the three Nephites...who spots the back of our barn at 4 AM?  Either that or he's the one that started it).  Mike yelled up to me to call 911.  It took FOREVER for them to get here.  I don't know how long it really took, but it seemed like forever.  I guess they had to come all the way from the fire station at Jordanelle.  Then, when they got here, they couldn't do anything because their hoses were frozen solid.  I am not complaining here.  I've never called 911 in my life, and I am sooo glad help was only a phone call away.  I was standing in the house in my nightgown, holding my newborn Kit, watching 40 guys empty our garages.    It went from a pig pen fire, to looking like the whole building was a complete loss- justlikethat.  They eventually got the water flowing and could fight the fire.  Just about that time Scottie got up to go the the bathroom and looked out his window.  I heard him yelling, "Mom!  The garage is on fire!"  I shushed him and told him that the firemen were putting it out and that it was going to be okay.  He stood by the windows watching with me until the fire was out, and then he said, "Well, I'm going to go lay by Dad now."   Hahahaha.  He thought Mike slept through the whole thing.  I was so glad the rest of the kids didn't wake up.  It was pretty scary.  About dawn when Mike came back in the house, I was surprised to find out the pigs didn't even get hurt.  They started the fire and then stood back and watched!  I called my mom a few hours later to tell her and she said, "I heard about that on the news!"  Aparantly when you call 911 the news channels know about it.  They knew how much (dollar amount) the damages were...even before we did!  They reported that a space heater started the fire- haha.  We're a little smarter than that.  Just a little though.  That afternoon a KSL news crew showed up on our doorstep wanting to do a story!  The lady was like, "It's a really cute story- the pigs are safe!  We drove all the way up here..."  Oh, heck no.  No thank you- I am not interested in broadcasting our children or home or even our pigs!   Luckily insurance covered it all and nothing that we cared about was ruined.  Just a couple days before I had gone looking for my wedding pictures and brought them in the house.  All the storage we had out there was soaked and smokey.  Crazy, crazy, crazy- but I guess if this is as bad as it gets, we're pretty lucky:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home