Saturday, February 4, 2012

Gentleman, start your engines.

There is so much more to this pinewood derby thing than meets the eye.  Last year Scottie wasn't old enough to participate but I was helping out so I brought him along for fun.  Scottie's buddy Carson had just turned 8 and his car blew everyone else's out of the water.  Afterwards, Scottie told Carson to watch out- because next year he was going to have some real competition.(???) So...you know the rest of the story.  Oldest son Carson, tells his dad Matt that oldest son Scottie wants to beat him, Matt jokes around with Mike, Mike jokes around with Matt, Scottie spends hours in his room drawing up "plans" for his car...a year of this passes, and then the big day arrives.  Well, before the big day you get a car kit [block of wood] that must be carved, sanded, masked, painted, wighted, etc.  It was a process.  Not that I had to do anything- Mike and Scottie had it under control.   They're a good team.  Scottie chose the number 642 for his car- because Jena is 6, Mylee is 4 and Ben is 2. Awwww.
 Matt and Mike at weigh in- trying to act like they don't care. 

 Oh look.  Carson does bunny ears for pictures too! 
And the Winner is...


Out of 15 cubs, Scottie took 6th and Carson took 8th.  Well done boys.  Scottie got the prize for best named car.  It's name was Mud.  I don't know where he got that one.  My mom used to say, "Don't do that [bad thing that you're not supposed to do] or your name will be mud!"  But I know I haven't carried on that saying on like I should've.  I do say "Home James, don't spare the horses" on a regular basis.
Mymy and Ben were busy having matchbox car races of their own.  It'll be Ben's turn to pinewood derby soon enough.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

Nice Job Scottie! I am also pleased to see Mike wearing glasses. No more mistaking cactuses for people.

February 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger Mike and Becca said...

that's great! I've never been too excited about scouts, but i'm more on board every day. Well have our turn at the derby soon enough. I'm impressed scottie spent so much time thinking about and working on it! I too use "home james"....

February 23, 2012 at 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home